Emory University – James T. Laney Graduate School
Emory's Graduate School was organized as a distinct division of the University in 1919, and awarded its first PhD to a student in chemistry in 1948.
In the years since, graduate education at Emory has made tremendous advances, and in 2009, we were named after Dr. James T. Laney, President of Emory from 1977 to 1994.
Today, the Laney Graduate School offers the PhD and Masters degrees in more than 40 programs across the humanities, the social sciences, biomedical and natural science, public health, nursing and business. Our graduate students are present in nearly every area of research at Emory, working with esteemed faculty and researchers to solve the complex problems of our time and advance the global good.