Frequently Asked Questions

Who may apply for student exchange/semester abroad opportunities?

All registered UWC students who have completed a first year and who meet the criteria may apply. It is important that your registration is current and you should be a student in good standing.

What should my academic record be?

To be considered eligible to apply, you should meet the criteria and your results should at least be a weighted average of 70%.

Where do I find a list of partner institutions?

See our strategic partners section.

How and where do I apply?

All current student exchange/semester abroad opportunities are sent to all students via email through UWC Communications, or to the Faculty to nominate students.

How are the semester abroad exchange opportunities funded?

The funding options available through UWC are limited. For most programmes, the tuition is waived. Some programmes are fully funded and others are partially funded, as this depends on the type of agreement. This will be communicated when the call for applications are sent out. You would have to have some funding for incidentals and should you wish to do some excursion in the host country.

How do I choose a partner university?

These opportunities will be communicated to all students when they become available. You should choose a partner institution that will allow you to take the courses in line with the courses you are required to obtain credits for at UWC.

Should these courses be pre-approved?

You are required to draw up a learning agreement, specifying the courses. These courses must be approved by your Faculty. You should seek advice and guidance from the partner university and UWC academic staff. The approval of the transfer of credits must serve on your faculty meetings.

Are all courses offered in English at the partner institution?

You would have to check the language the courses are offered in, and if not in English, that you are able to communicate and write the language the courses are offered in.

Should I be eligible to take up a semester abroad as an exchange student, how will the credits be transferred?

On completion of the programme, you will receive a transcript from the host institution. These credits will be converted according to UWC/South African marks grading system.

Do I need a passport?

You must have a valid passport. You can apply for a passport to the Department of Home Affairs and follow the instructions on the website.

How do I apply for a visa?

Once you have been nominated and selected for the semester study abroad, the host intuition will send you a letter of invitation/acceptance. Once you receive this, you can apply for a visa, view the link for visa requirements.

Who will assist me with finding accommodation?

The partner university will assist with finding suitable accommodation or offer some suggestions and links to source accommodation directly.

What can I study at UWC?

UWC offers fully accredited undergraduate and postgraduate programmes across seven academic Faculties. We also offer options for non-degree studies, short courses and research. Refer to the University website to view all programmes and courses.

Who do I contact about particular programme requirements?

Consult the University website for more information on particular programmes and relevant contact details.

Are translations of my academic documents required?

Only English documents are accepted. Certified translation and copies of qualifications are required.

Do I need to submit a letter of recommendation with my application?

It is recommended to submit a letter of recommendation.

When does the UWC academic year begin and end?

The academic year consists of two semesters. The first semester runs from February to June, and the second from July to November.

What is the language of instruction at UWC?


Do I need medical insurance?

Any exchange or study abroad student to South Africa must, according to the Immigration Regulations 2014 (12), provide “proof of medical cover for the period of study with a medical scheme registered in terms of the Medical Schemes Act”. Cover must include the minimum of hospitalisation, emergencies and day-to-day cover

What is the best medical aid option for incoming exchange and study abroad students?

CompCare Medical Scheme –

For further enquiries or information