The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation grants up to 60 German Chancellor Fellowships every year to prospective leaders from Brazil, China, India, Russia, South Africa and the USA – irrespective of their field of work.
The German Chancellor Fellowship for Tomorrow’s Leaders
Open to applicants from South Africa
Application deadline: 15 October 2021
Recommended period of sponsorship: 1 October 2022 – 30 September 2023
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation grants up to 60 German Chancellor Fellowships every year to prospective leaders from Brazil, China, India, Russia, South Africa and the USA – irrespective of their field of work. Together with a German host and mentor of their choice, fellows conduct a socially-relevant project they have developed independently.
The German Chancellor Fellowship in a nutshell
- A monthly fellowship of €2,150, €2,450 or €2,750, depending on your qualifications
- Flexible timing: 12-month fellowship between 1 August 2022 – 31 March 2024
- Individual mentoring during your stay in Germany
- Additional financial support for items such as family members accompanying you, travel expenses or a German language course
- A study tour of Germany, an opportunity to meet the German chancellor at the end of your stay and a number of networking events
- Joint programme events and the chance to actively cooperate in peer groups and organise smaller-scale networking formats
- Extensive alumni sponsorship, particularly to help you sustain contact with collaborative partners in Germany during your entire professional career
- The applicant must be a national of Brazil, China, India, Russia, South Africa or the United States.
- Bachelor’s or equivalent academic degree completed less than twelve years before the beginning of the fellowship
- A mentoring agreement from the host in Germany
- A project plan which candidates must draw up independently and coordinate with their host.
- Initial proven leadership experience
Further information, a list of all application requirements and a link to the online application form are available at www.humboldt-foundation.de/youngleaders.
Advice and contact
If you have any questions regarding the German Chancellor Fellowship Programme or would like individual guidance, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can find examples of projects conducted at Fellows in Portrait
The Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany is the patron of this fellowship programme.