The Chevening Scholarships 2022/2023 call for applications is now open.
Chevening is the UK Government’s international scholarships programme aimed at developing global leaders. Funded by the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office and partner organisations, Chevening scholarships are awarded to outstanding professionals from South Africa and beyond to pursue a one-year master’s degree in any subject at any UK university.
2 November 2021 at 12:00 GMT
What is included in the scholarship?
Chevening provides fully-funded scholarships, leaving recipients free to focus on achieving their professional goals and enjoying the experience of a lifetime. Chevening Scholars will live and study in the UK for a year, during which time they will develop professionally and academically, network extensively, experience UK culture, and build lasting positive relationships with the UK. The scholarship covers:
- University tuition fees;
- A monthly stipend;
- Travel costs to and from the UK;
- An arrival allowance;
- A homeward departure allowance;
- The cost of one visa application;
- A travel grant to attend Chevening events in the UK.
There is a fee cap applied to MBA programmes that requires you to cover any additional cost over £18,000.
Who can apply?
- South African citizens;
- Commitment to return to South Africa for a minimum of two years after your award has ended;
- Have an undergraduate degree that will enable you to gain entry onto a postgraduate programme at a UK university (this is typically equivalent to an upper second-class 2:1 honours degree in the UK);
- Have at least two years’ work experience;
- Apply to three different eligible UK university courses and have received an unconditional offer from one of these choices by 14 July 2022.
Fields of Study
- Any one year master’s offered by UK universities;
- The courses you choose must be full-time, taught master’s (i.e. not research-focused MRes programmes);
- Be available to start academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September/ October 2022;
Applications for Chevening Scholarships can only be submitted using the Chevening online application system.
The process of selecting Chevening Scholars takes a minimum of eight months from the application deadline to when scholars are conditionally selected for an award.