2023 Alexander von Humboldt Foundation German Chancellor Fellowship Programme
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation grants up to 60 German Chancellor Fellowships every year – up to ten of which go to prospective leaders from South Africa to conduct a socially-relevant and independently developed research projects with a host of their choice in Germany for a period of 12 months.
The German Chancellor Fellowship Programme is targeted at university graduates who have an international outlook and initial leadership experience. It addresses prospective decision-makers, multipliers and thought leaders from a broad range of professional fields such as politics, public administration and business as well as society and culture. This fellowship programme is intended to give participants the opportunity to spend a year in Germany exploring new solutions to the global issues of our times and widening their networks.
Fellowship for graduates.
15 October 2023
An application would ideally be prepared a year before the deadline. Time must be factored in to identify the host in Germany and to prepare a convincing research proposal.
Who can apply?
Graduates from South Africa who:
- Accomplished young professionals and promising university graduates;
- Have obtained their first academic degree (Bachelor or equivalent) no more than 12 months ago;
- Prospective decision-makers, multipliers and thought leaders in their fields;
- Works in fields such as politics, business, media, public administration, society and culture
- Young professionals from broad range of professional fields and have demonstrable initial leadership experience.
Fields of Study
Politics, business, media, administration, society or culture.
- a monthly fellowship grant of 2,000 euros, 2,300 euros or 2,600 euros (approximately R41 073.18 – R53 395.13) – depending on your training and career level;
- an intensive language course before you begin your fellowship and funding for German courses during your fellowship;
- individual support during your stay in Germany;
- additional financial support, e.g. for accompanying family members, for travel expenses, for full private health insurance or for an additional German language course;
- joint events where you experience professional and personal intercultural exchange with other fellows from your year group and gain insights into German culture and society;
- networking activities that enable you to collaborate in peer groups and independently organise smaller network formats with other fellows;
- a two-week study tour through Germany as well as a number of events where you can connect with other fellows and meet representatives of German businesses and institutions;
- extensive alumni sponsorship, in particular to support long-term connections with your cooperation partners in Germany over the duration of your entire professional career.
Your host institution will receive a monthly allowance for research costs of 500 euros.
Applications are to be submitted Alexander von Humboldt Foundation online only.
The following documents must be submitted in order to complete the application:
- Extensive statement including confirmation of support from a host in Germany;
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals who can provide information on your professional, personal and/or academic background;
- Certificate of your first academic degree and, if applicable, further degrees, including certified translations;
- Academic transcripts;
- Where appropriate German or English language certificate;
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation can be contacted through this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) Information Centre Johannesburg can be contacted for further support, advice and information:
Documents and links